Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Question C: Kimmel Video (Gender Differences)


Growing up as a kid I definitely viewed myself as different from girls and may have even thought of the notion that they are from Venus but as I’ve grown older I’ve realized that men and women aren’t that different from each other. I agree with Kimmel when he says that men and women are in fact much more similar when it comes to traits, and attitudes then they are different. Also the part where he mentioned that men and women should be allies in phases of life is particularly interesting because if men and women keep progressing and realizing they are in fact similar, then it would help with so many issues that are out there today. I feel like once people, men and women, realize they have similar views then gender equality will be achieved because if we all think the same and are entitled to our own opinions then why does there have to be gender differences?

When Kimmel was throwing out the statistic “All a man is really interested in is his career, not his family”, I couldn’t really believe those numbers. Women agreed with that statement 39% in 1970, and 56% in 2005, this seems to be going in the wrong direction to me and when I have a family in the future I know I’m going to set them as my main priority in life. I think that the majority of males now a day feel this way and if anything back 35years ago it was the other way around. Kimmel said that this statistic may be skewed in this direction because women now know their gender and have made their gender visible. I liked his point where he talked about the balance between a woman’s career and the household and said that it’s basically not possible without a husband that balances his career and household as well. I couldn’t agree with this fact any more then I do and I hope that is what my future will be, I aspire to be a quality loving husband/father figure who also has a career where I can support my family and I know my wife will have the opportunity to have her own career along with balancing the household due to what I think is gender equality in this day and age. 

4 comments:

  1. I was also surprised by the statistic of women thinking all a man is really interested in is his career rather than his family. At the same time, I can see why that percentage has increased over the years. Presently, more women are working than in the 70s, but it's likely that they are still providing most of the childcare which may be exhausting. I think the increase in this statistic is likely the result of resentful women who are frustrated that their husbands aren't helping out enough at home rather than women actually believing that their husbands truly valuing their career over their family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you Courtney. When he said that statistic the image that popped into my head was resentful women who feel they have carried the family for the past x amount of years. I know that I would feel resentful. It can also be how the relationship is handled. If the husband is doing half the household chores but makes a big deal about it or has to be asked to do things like take out the garbage I can see why women would respond the way they did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely surprised by that statistic too that women felt "All a man is really interested in is his career, not his family". It is really hard to believe that since I definitely see a lot of caring dads out there. It could be that those frustrated mothers feel they do all the work especially the little tedious things such as bringing the kids to school, making their breakfast and lunches, etc. I really believe that a dad is just as caring for their children as a mom is and most of the time their kids come first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the biggest thing I take away from this lecture is the importance of men and women sharing all tasks equally: work inside and outside the home, and esp. childcare. The stats were clear that this is a win-win situation. We also need paid leave for both fathers and mothers and gender equality education at all levels of the education system.

    ReplyDelete