Monday, January 17, 2011

Question K: "Trans Woman Manifesto"

I'm someone that never really knew all that much about trans gender women before reading the article "Trans Woman Manifesto" and watching the movie "Beautiful Daughters". They both really opened my eyes to what trans gender women have to go through on a daily basis. In the article, it states what the term transphobia means and I had never heard of this term before, the definition is:"An irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against people whose gendered identities, appearances, or behaviors deviate from societal norms." I think many people in our society today struggle with transphobia and it isn't right at all. People, the media especially, ridicule and despise trans gender women because they aren't viewed as "natural". I think this is crazy and its another topic that i'd never really thought about before, why are they any differen't? why can't they be treated the same? This just shows how people in the world still constantly judge someone based on image and that's something that I hope gets fixed somehow, someday. I think that everyone needs to join together as allies to help fight all of this disrespect that gets thrown at trans genders. Why allow people to look at trans genders as "reasearch subjects"? That's not right and everyone should stand up for that I think.

6 comments:

  1. One of the things I have found with my FTM friend, is that he prefers to be asked questions rather than stared at. He has no problem answering any question to any stranger. He would rather educate people then let the judgement continue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a great point here that people shouldn't look at trans genders as research subjects. It's really sad how people look at trans genders as well gays and lesbians and immediately judge just based on their appearance and identity. It's so natural to judge which is so unfortunate. It's too bad that people don't take the saying "don't judge a book by it's cover" seriously at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the points that you made in this blog, people need to understand that everyone should be treated the same. Why does it matter if someone is transgender or not? I wonder where these societal norms stem from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also did not know much about transgender men and women before reading this article or watching the video. I truly enjoyed learning about transgender and I agree with Miranda that it would be easier for your friend to have people ask than stare.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While many if not most people now know someone who is gay or lesbian, the same is not true for trans folks. We still need to become more visible in society, and get people to understand that we are just human beings like they are. I think Beautiful Daughters help people identify with the subjects rather than see them as "weird" others they way so much media does that purports to deal with trans issues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree that we need to stand up for transgender rights. The problem is that they make up a minority op the population, and generally speaking, many people don't care about issues that don't directly affect them. We need to raise awareness that these issues DO affect them- could be their mother, brother, son etc. and need to fight for their rights as a whole.

    ReplyDelete