Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Question L: Gimp


This video on the Gimp Project was outstanding, I had never previously heard about this and I’m really glad I got to watch it.(www.thegimpproject.com) I never really thought about how someone disabled could dance or if they even did and the gimp project allows everyone to be able to dance. One of the more fascinating scenes in the short movie clip was when the woman missing her legs was dancing with a man and it was them basically like dancing/climbing cloth coming from the ceiling. I thought this was a really beautiful style of dance and it was amazing that someone with a disability such as missing her legs could still do this and make it look basically effortless. This scene shows me that people still shouldn’t be judged and restricted based on their appearance. Give someone an opportunity and see what they can do before you try restricting them, I have to sit back and ask myself, what would I do if someone tried telling me I couldn’t do something solely based on my disability? I know I’d try show people up and show that I could still do anything regardless of the disability.

I think this piece addresses the issues of ableism because it shows that regardless of disabilities, people can still do things if they try to do it. There is no need to discriminate for any reason but especially based on disabilities. The performances in this video such as the dancing shows that there should be no such thing as ableism because everyone is capable of doing something just in their own way, I think that’s an extremely progressive way of thinking and I wish everyone saw all the –ism’s in this sort of light.

In Willie V. Bryan’s article “Struggle for Freedom” there’s a section on lack of concern and I think it’s crazy how Congress doesn’t do anything to really help people with disabilities. People should be given an opportunity to work a job and not be judged because of a disability and I agree with Willie Bryan when he says that Congress needs to help more with that. 

1 comment:

  1. I believe its very frustrating for people who have disabilities because people telling someone that they can't do something dramatically shakes the trust that one might have had that someone kept their comments to themselves. I mean unless someone is mentally unstable or on some kind of drug they should be given a chance. Rapport is hard to build so when someone takes it away by doubting I imagine one would be very frustrated.

    ReplyDelete