Friday, January 21, 2011

Quick Blog Post #6 Age Segregation


In my social life I encounter people of all different ages but the age group that I see and talk to the least is the elderly. I still talk to younger kids and try giving them advice and what not but the elderly I definitely don’t see as much now that I’m at school. I do wish I had more interactions with elderly people, my moms parents have both passed away so I only have my dad’s parents as my elderly family. I don’t see them all that much just holidays really because they live kind of far away which is unfortunate. I agree that society is segregated based on age and a lot of adults would rather speak with another adult than someone younger. Adults don’t really trust kids all that much and I think have better conversations with each other due to interests etc. so that’s why they typically tend to talk to people in the same age group. Young adults and middle-age adults are advantaged/privileged due to their age because they are viewed as in their “prime period” of life. They are supposed to be at their smartest, and strongest stage of life and its kind of viewed as the desired age range. I think that when people my age work at nursing homes, do big brother/big sister programs, that kind of stuff helps integrate people of all ages. I think that people in our society are realizing that everyone deserves respect regardless of the persons age, and personally I think that our elders deserve the most respect because they are the wisest and have dealt with the most over their life period. 

No comments:

Post a Comment