Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Question H: Religious Oppression

My family and I are all of the Christian faith, I went to a Catholic high school and I grew up going to church basically every Sunday with my brother, mom and dad. Over the years we’ve started going less and less because I’m at college and what not but my brother and mom still attend frequently. I don’t think I necessarily encounter any oppression due to my religion, rather I think that I experience more privilege. Being part of the Christian faith, I get my holidays (Easter, Christmas, etc.) off from school and work. Rarely would I have to work on Sundays and I think that’s one privilege that’s kind of been dissolving over past years in this country. One privilege from Schlosser’s list that I’ve never really thought that much into before was #13 “ I can buy foods (e.g.., in grocery store, at restaurants) that fall within the scope of the rules of my religious group." I’ve never had that problem with food but I know that certain religions such as the Jewish and Muslim faiths follow certain rules when it comes to food. I really feel bad that grocery stores and restaurants don’t offer certain menu’s or sections in the store to cater to these faiths, hopefully in the future people can realize how this oppresses these religions and can fix it soon.

2 comments:

  1. It’s difficult to have a menu to cater to every diet. The dinning halls on campus, as much food as they offer, will basically provide a westernized menu. For me, as long as the foods are healthy, as long as their legal, I’ll get use to eating them

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that it is difficult to have restaurants and grocery stores that cater to every religious and culture preference. This is not something that I think people should realistically expect, just as you would not travel to a foreign culture and complain and be offended that you cannot buy or order something specific to your diet. Yes, in the US, Christian beliefs dominate much of our culture, disregarding other religions and culture practices. But ethnic and cultural communities that are present all around the US should be embraced and celebrated for this. Your most likely going to find the best ethnic restaurants and grocery stores in large populations of various ethnic and cultural identities.

    ReplyDelete