Friday, January 14, 2011

Question J: Heterosexism


I chose to read the article “Biphobia” by Marcia Deihl and Robyn Ochs. This article really opened my eyes to the issue of Bisexualism and how these individuals are treated within society. I never realized that some gay and lesbian people don’t accept bisexuals and view sexuality as either heterosexual or homosexual. The example where the author went to a feminist bookstore and the cashier asked if there needed to be a “lesbian discount” and the author responded with “Well, I’m bisexual, so how about half?” The cashier didn’t smile or anything and didn’t give any sort of discount. I found it crazy that there was even a discount solely based on what your sexual orientation but also the fact that the author was half joking and the cashier woman basically didn’t even react to the comment is sad. I would think that the lesbian/gay community would be more accepting to bisexuals then the heterosexual community but in some cases that isn’t necessarily true at all. Also when the author’s friend was active in her lesbian community and fell in love with a man, her lesbian friends didn’t accept her, they rather held a “funeral” for her. How can you consider yourself someone’s friend if you don’t accept them for who they are. I know that no matter who my friends fall in love with, my main concern will always be, will this person make my friend happy? And if the answer to that question is yes then I’m not really sure how you cant accept your friend for who they are.

3 comments:

  1. I choose to watch the videos so I didn't get the chance to read the article yet. I had no idea that gays and lesbians were so not accepting of bisexuals. It's so crazy, I always thought they stuck together because most people criticize them both, as awful as it is. I agree with you, how can you not accept your friend just because of their sexual orientation. If your friend never choose to tell you their sexual orientation then nothing would change because you wouldn't know. Once a person comes out and tells that they are heterosexual, so many peoples opinions of that person change. It's unbelievable and so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked all the points you made, I also didn't realize the many ways that bisexuals are often forgotten or discounted for. I feel like a lot of people misunderstand bisexuality and place false judgments upon them because of their sexual preferences differently than gays and lesbians. I feel like the bisexual community faces a lot of criticism as not really existing, when it really does and it is ignorant to disregard that in any way

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an interesting article you choose to read. I never thought that bisexuals wouldn't be as welcomed in a lesbian/gay community. Its like they are forming there own form of heteorsexism.

    ReplyDelete